Choosing the perfect wood is the most important and the primary task before starting on a wood work. You cannot entrust the task of choosing on any other person because it is you who knows what is to be done with the wood.
The following are some tips on how to choose the most suitable wood from a lumbering mart.
Knowledge of the different types and classes of wood is very necessary when it comes to choosing wood.
Though there are many kinds of wood, each has distinct characteristics and so it should be known which is the best to suit your purpose.
– About the classes of wood
According to the kind of trees they are obtained from, hardwoods and softwoods are the two major types of wood.
Plants which are categorized as angiosperms are the source of hardwoods. These types of trees bear flowers and have leaves that are broad. On the other hand, coniferous trees or the gymnosperms supply softwoods. These trees bear seeds but not flowers.
Much to the contrary of its name, softwood is stronger than the hardwood and is used in making frameworks and for flooring purpose.
– About the grades of wood
Select and common-these are the two grades of woods.
The select type of wood is of excellent quality and is fully free from blemishes of any kind. Items that require a beautiful finish and look are generally made of this kind of wood.
Woods with flaws in their appearance are the common grade lumbers that are used for general constructional purposes.
– About the types of wood
Woods that are best suited for your need can be of various types. More the kinds of woods, more is the difficulty faced in choosing the right kind for your purpose. Special characteristics of each kind should thus be known before choosing the wood.
– When curving items of indoor need, pine is the ideal option since it can be stained into a host of colors. It also offers durability and stability and is easy to curve into different shapes; so it is the best option for making cabinets.
– When a smooth look is concerned, poplar suits the bill since it has no pores and the smooth look can be got through a coat of paint.
– When outdoor furniture and fences are to be made redwood should be used since they are naturally resistant to decay.
– Woods that are best suited for making outdoor walls are those that are treated chemically to resist different decaying agents like moisture etc.
– Oak, maple, cherry and some other woods have grain patterns on them which are nice to look at. They are popular in making woodworks with accented designs.
– Due to its somewhat reddish hue and a polished finish, rosewood is commonly used in making musical instruments.
With this thorough knowledge of the various characteristics of woods, now it will be easier for you to choose the right wood for the kind of thing you want to make.